Re: Notes from the Real World

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 20:48:18 PDT

    Greg KH wrote:

    > On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 05:57:10PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > >
    > > However, Greg's point stands:  building kernel modules is not for amateurs.
    >
    > No, I never said anything about "amateurs".  ... Bad terminology choice :)

    Agreed, it was a poor choice of words.  I was just trying to dispell the notion
    that programming a module is like writing a user space app.

    And with regard to Melvin's points:  I have no problem what so ever with clear
    documentation in human-readable form.  Obviously, I encourage it.  Such
    documentation would primarily need to address two points:

       * the abstract concepts embodied in the LSM interface
       * the technical details, i.e. each interface function

    You can try to document them now, but they will change.  If you want to document
    it now, and then update it later, great, but it will take work to track rapid
    development.  Go for it if you want to.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.