Re: permissive vs. restrictive issue and solutions...

From: Casey Schaufler (caseyat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 10:33:31 PDT

    Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > > This isn't a prototype. It's the real McCoy, and it's going
    > > to be hard. My CAPP module needs it. It will speed my work
    > > considerably if I can do it all in the module.
    >
    > Do you really need all of the logic moved out of the kernel?

    I want none of the logic out of the kernel, I want
    it in the module loaded in the kernel.

    > Or just post- hooks?

    An audit system requires hooks in many places. You
    often have to gather information because you might
    need it later. For example, on chmod() you need to
    remember the old value in case the call succeeds.

    > Where exactly do you need these post- hooks?
    > Why not propose such hooks to be added to LSM?

    I have not proposed
    such hooks because I'm not done with the list, and
    I've decided to follow your lead and propose a relativly
    complete set.
    --

    Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
    caseyat_private				voice: 650.933.1634