Re: permissive vs. restrictive issue and solutions...

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 17:26:48 PDT

    Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Casey Schaufler wrote:
    > > No. This is wrong thinking. Every commercial security effort
    > > has tried the "first do no harm" approach, and the results
    > > have been universally atrocious.
    >
    > People are likely to whine more about changes that have no
    > perceived value, especially if they are pervasive
    > and significant.  I suspect that moving the base Linux
    > access control logic out of the kernel has little or no
    > perceived value to the Linux kernel developers.

    I tend to agree with Smalley here:  regardless of the merrits of the
    argument, if LSM is a massive change to the way the kernel works, it will
    likely be rejected, and all this effort is for naught.

    I am also as concerned as Smalley that such a massive change could be made
    correctly in a timely fashion.  If we were designing a new (micro)kernel,
    then the considerations would be very different.  But we're trying to do
    surgery on a living thing, so we have to try to make the smallest
    incisions possible.

    As a result, I would only vote for the "move EVERYTHING to the modules"
    option (whatever it's number :-) if it can be shown to be absolutely
    necessary.  I'd rather look for another way to get most of what we want.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Available for purchase: http://wirex.com//Products/Immunix/purchase.html