Re: permissive vs. restrictive issue and solutions...

From: Chris Wright (chrisat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 10:12:43 PDT

    * Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private) wrote:

    > On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Stephen Smalley wrote:
    >
    > > The capable() function remains
    > > as a stub that calls the LSM capable() hook (or, better, we
    > > use a script to globally replace all calls to capable() with a
    > > direct call to the hook).
    >
    > Actually, we can avoid the trouble of even this kind of pervasive
    > change simply by restoring the capable() static inline function
    > in sched.h and then replacing its contents with a call to the
    > LSM capable hook.  That makes our patch even cleaner without
    > costing us anything.

    as a minor nitpick... making a static inline function in sched.h that
    calls security_ops->capable() will not work without fully exporting
    the security_ops structure (there are _many_ calls to capable() in
    drivers/modules).  in lieu of exporting the security_ops structure to
    modules, we _can_ (and do) export a function capable() (neither static
    nor inline) that calls security_ops->capable().