Where Are We?

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 09:33:41 PDT

    How inaccurate are the following summaries?

    Dr. Cowen: the smaller the changes to the original kernel code
               the better, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.  The idea
               of "breaking capabilities" out, maybe discarding them
               altogether.

    Professor/Dr. Wagner: There are ways to build "smart logic" into
              the kernel to flip between options (I think, you're over
              my head here... jmj)

    Stephen Smalley: The minimal invasive hook is to let the kernel
              have its way, then potentially override it with the module,
              but capabilities have to stay for political reasons.

    Chris Wright: How do we do this in ACTUAL code, I *think* leaning
              toward Mr. (Dr?) Smalley's method.

    JMJONES:  Move as much to the module as necessary, but no more.
              Leave the maximum number of options in the interface.
              Create a structure that allows the most variation in
              module strategy starting from HERE.

    Greg K-H: Hahahahaha (probably the smartest of us all (^_^)(jmj)).

    Matt B:   Move it ALL to the module, rip it out of the kernel.
    Titus:    Move it ALL to the module, rip it out of the kernel.  Take
              the "hit points" now.

    Jesse Pollard: Move as much security as is possible out of the kernel,
              share the original security if desired.

    Casey Shaufler:  Move a lot to the module, but don't interfere with or
              discount capabilities, since permissive is inherent in his/her
              MASTER PLAN.

    I apologize to any I got "dead wrong", but could we reduce the argument
    to a statement of 25 words or less for each position, then move from
    there?  Also, I know the above list puts me in the "center"... personal
    privilege, for now.

    I'm "on hold" with my modules, and "anything" is beginning rise in
    the ranks of solution(s) here.  I don't want to move forward then
    have to "trash" a lot of code.

    Thanks,
    Geoff