Re: My patch

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 11:47:18 PDT

    "Titus D. Winters" wrote:

    > Still, it's the only way that we can get done what we need.  I'm fairly
    > reserved to the fact that it isn't going to be accepted this way (I was
    > actually fairly surprised when initially it was said that supporting
    > honeypots would be something we should shoot for),

    What I actually said was that I guessed the weird need was for honeypots, and
    that honeypots is a legitimate security goal, which is a bit different from
    "LSM should shoot for it."

    An absolute requirement for LSM is "Linus will accept it."  That means that the
    LSM patch has to be parsimonious (as small as possible) and Linus has to
    perceive a broad need for the supported functionality (note his rejection of
    Solar's non-executable stack patch).

    Now, I see the value of honeypots as a research tool, and the Honeynet Project
    http://project.honeynet.org/  in particular seems to be gathering valuable
    data.  However, I disbelieve that honeypots are an important thing to deploy
    widely.  I think it's a bad idea to deploy a honeypot on a production network
    that you're actually trying to protect.

    LSM is all about enabling the wide deployment of security enhancements:  things
    that lots of people will want to use.  LSM lowers the "barrier to entry" by
    allowing a module to load into a stock kernel, rather than having to manually
    patch & build a kernel, which may be too much for some busy/clueless people to
    bother with.

    A honeypot is a VERY dangerous thing, something that only an experienced
    security guru should undertake advisedly, and with a commitment to lots of
    monitoring effort.  It seems to me that such people won't mind dealing with a
    kernel source patch:  it is only a small fraction of the amount of work they
    are signing up for.

    So, if honeypots can make use of LSM, that's great.  But I don't believe we
    should enlarge or complicate the LSM patch to support honeypots, because the
    widely-deployed cost:benefit ratio isn't there.

    We have not discussed this particular issue before.  What do other people
    think?

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.