Re: LSM Patch Additions for CAPP (C2) Audit Trails

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 20:05:38 PDT

    jmjonesat_private wrote:

    > Okay, can we separate capabilities from "other" in some way, and
    > discuss ONLY capabilities for a moment...

    That's exactly what the LSM design has done:  capabilities are different from the
    rest of the hooks:

       * capabilities:  coarse-grained, authoritative
       * others: fine-grained, restrictive

    > I've heard (off list) some opinions that suggest that capabilities
    > calls should be authoritative rather than restrictive.

    Who ever made that comment to you needs a little chat with the Clue Stick :-)
    Capability hooks are not restrictive.  This observation was what originally started
    the restrictive/permissive chat several weeks ago.

    > I request that we more narrowly/clearly define when permissivness is
    > allowable.

    Permissiveness:  never, except in support of capabilities.

    "Never" is subjective:  this is a community project, and everything is subject to
    discussion.  But we've had that discussion, and current consensus is "restrictive
    hooks only, except for capabilities."  I thought you were here for that discussion

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.