Re: LSM Patch Additions for CAPP (C2) Audit Trails

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 07:31:31 PDT

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Theodore Tso wrote:

    > What do you mean by "core capabilities logic" and "base kernel logic"?
    > If what you mean is by "core capabilities logic" is the code to manage
    > the capability mask settings, sure that can be moved out to a module.
    > (I assume that it will be possible to have modules linked directly
    > into the kernel for those people who don't want to use modules, yes?)

    By "core capabilities logic", I'm referring to the capabilities-related
    code except for the actual calls to the capable() function.  Some
    people have previously suggested on this list that even the calls to
    capable() should be moved behind a more general permissive interface, but
    that idea wasn't adopted, which is why I say "core".  By "base kernel
    logic", I'm referring to the Unix discretionary access control logic and
    calls to capable().

    The current LSM patch moves some of the capabilities-related code
    into a module (kernel/capability_plug.c) that can be linked into
    the kernel, dynamically loaded, or omitted entirely.  If it
    is not present, the system falls back on traditional superuser
    tests (kernel/security.c).  Specifically, the current patch moves the
    capabilities-related code from the execve call (the prepare_binprm and
    compute_creds functions), the set*uid calls, the exec_usermodehelper
    function, the ptrace call, and the capable function itself.  The patch
    does not yet move the capability logic from access, capget or capset.  The
    patch also does not yet move the capability bits themselves from the
    kernel data structures into the new security objects, and it was unclear
    as to whether this was desirable based on the messages from Linus that
    sparked this effort.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private