Re: Names vs. Inodes

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 06:16:35 PDT

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > In SubDomain, we need to know the absolute path name of a file that a
    > process is trying to open.  LSM used to have a hook in namei that let us
    > construct this name.  More recent versions have removed this hook in favor
    > of a hook at the inode level.  Several people claim that it is
    > easy/possible to reconstruct the path name from the inode.  We've been
    > struggling for some weeks to make this practical, with little success.

    It is certainly possible to reconstruct a pathname from an inode,
    but from your message below it sounds as though you want the
    particular pathname requested by the application.  That sounds
    very similar to a request by the SGI folks.  But I don't understand
    the rationale.  Do you want to protect a file differently if it
    is accessed via one pathname than if it is accessed via a different
    pathname?  That seems very prone to vulnerabilities.  A concrete
    example, perhaps?

    > If we can't build a practical means to reconstruct the path name from the
    > inode, we may want to put the name hook back in again.  We feel that it is
    > reasonable for an access control module to want to know the name of a file
    > being opened, and LSM should provide *some* way of determining that name.

    So what would this mean for Serge's new hooks?  And how would you
    address the fact that lower-level VFS functions like lookup_one_hash and
    vfs_create/mkdir/... can be called directly by specific file system
    implementations (like nfsd) or even LKMs?  If your module is relying
    on attach_pathlabel, there will be a number of cases where it gets
    bypassed.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private