Re: Names vs. Inodes

From: Casey Schaufler (caseyat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 09:33:19 PDT

    Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > It is certainly possible to reconstruct a pathname from an inode,
    > but from your message below it sounds as though you want the
    > particular pathname requested by the application.  That sounds
    > very similar to a request by the SGI folks.  But I don't understand
    > the rationale.  Do you want to protect a file differently if it
    > is accessed via one pathname than if it is accessed via a different
    > pathname?  That seems very prone to vulnerabilities.  A concrete
    > example, perhaps?

    For an audit trail to be useful it needs to include both
    the pathname requested and a "real" pathname for the file.
    The requested pathname is not sufficient because of mount
    points, symlinks, moldy directories, pseudo filesystems,
    and links. The actual name is not sufficient because it
    may bear no resemblence to what the user tried
    to do, for the same reason.

    System V/MLS put just the dev/inode in their audit records.
    All directory entry changes (creat, link, unlink, ...) had
    to be tracked. At mount time the entire filesystem namespace
    was recorded. This worked for 2MB file systems, but would not
    be recommened for multiple terabyte ones.

    --

    Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
    caseyat_private				voice: 650.933.1634