Re: Names vs. Inodes

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 12:26:13 PDT

    Casey Schaufler wrote:

    > System V/MLS put just the dev/inode in their audit records.
    > All directory entry changes (creat, link, unlink, ...) had
    > to be tracked. At mount time the entire filesystem namespace
    > was recorded. This worked for 2MB file systems, but would not
    > be recommened for multiple terabyte ones.

    A similar solution was proposed at USENIX (IIRC by Stephen Smalley).
    We've been trying to make it work, but ran into the problem Casey
    describes.  A SubDomain profile can contain an entry that says e.g.
    "/etc/*", which means that we would have to populate some in-kernel data
    structure with a very large name space.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.