Re: Names vs. Inodes

From: Brian Hatch (linux-security-moduleat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 12:39:49 PDT

    > I think that it is on-topic, because it is discussing a feature of LSM that
    > used to be there, and was removed.  Removing that feature breaks SubDomain (we
    > think).  I also disbelieve that it is SubDomain-specific, because I expect SGI
    > and LIDS to have similar problems.

    I agree that this is still on-topic.

    Currently, LIDS uses the inode and device exclusively, so this support
    in the LMS is not necessary for LIDS to function.  LIDS operates by
    caching the inode/device when the ACL is created with the lidsadm
    utility.  Thus were you to do something like this:

    	protect /etc/passwd
    	rename /etc/passwd to /etc/passwd.bak	[1]
    	create /etc/passwd

    then /etc/group.bak is protected, while /etc/group is not,
    since the inode followed the file, not the name.

    However, were LIDS rewritten to use the LSM and the pathname-based
    data was available, LIDS could have the actions above work as
    desired.

    [1] assume that some program is specifically allowed to access
    	this file unprotected, obviously.

    --
    Brian Hatch                For every action,
       Systems and              there is an equal

    Every message PGP signed