Re: Names vs. Inodes

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 09:03:34 PDT

    On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:45:36AM -0400, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:

    > Not at all.  The dentry list is systemwide.  if /dev/mouse is a link to
    > /dev/psaux, and the process access /dev/psaux, while another process
    > accesses /dev/mouse, the inode has two entries on it's dentry/d_alias
    > list.

    I agree.  But in this case there is a link.  And the "profile" or
    whatever you security model uses, had better know about the fact that
    there is a link from /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux on the system if it wants
    to be able to control access to /dev/psaux.

    Actually, since /dev/mouse is a soft link to /dev/psaux, I think the
    dentry path might show up as /dev/psaux, but I'm not sure...  I haven't
    messed with that code in a long time.

    > Now, again, attach_pathlabel does no better, unless you attach multiple
    > labels to each inode as I've mentioned previously in private.  Not pretty.
    >
    > I'm starting to wonder how this was originally implemented...

    For SubDomain?  They were hooks in namei.c that were called before
    permission() was called, and a dentry was passed in that hook.

    Personally I like the permission() hook much better.  Only one entry
    point that catches a whole lot more things than the original SubDomain
    hooks did.  The whole inode/dentry issue is worth it to get better
    protection IMHO.

    greg k-h