Re: Names vs. Inodes

From: Serge E. Hallyn (hallynat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 09:14:34 PDT

    > I agree.  But in this case there is a link.  And the "profile" or
    > whatever you security model uses, had better know about the fact that
    > there is a link from /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux on the system if it wants
    > to be able to control access to /dev/psaux.

    Ah, yes, the page on subdomain I saw said nothing about this, but of
    course so long as the policy guards against both names, then even though
    there can be >1 dentry for the inode, they can pick either one from the
    dentry list in permission().

    > Actually, since /dev/mouse is a soft link to /dev/psaux, I think the
    > dentry path might show up as /dev/psaux, but I'm not sure...  I haven't
    > messed with that code in a long time.

    yeah, bad example, substitute any two real hard links.  :-)  Well, don't,
    you circumvent my argument above.

    -serge