State of Audit Proposal ?

From: richard offer (offerat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 15:46:38 PDT

    Its been a few days now since we released our patch and the discussion has
    died down, so I think its time to summarize.

    No one ever came back to say why moving the hooks in-front of the DAC
    checks was objectionable, so that seems to be a moot point.

    There was some discussion as to the relevence of fd's vs inodes. And all
    the points made by everyone were gone through when the POSIX 1.e spec was
    written.

    To quote from draft 17 of the Posix spec.

       "The audit events for interfaces that operate on files via file
        descriptors include the fd among the data reported. There was some
        feeling that this was in itself not very useful, since the file
        descriptor is not directly meaningful to an audit administrator, but
        the audit record for the open() call that created the file descriptor
        is also reportable, and does enable an audit post-processing tool or
        audit administrator, to make the link back to a human-readable name."

    Without adding the fd to the audit record we make our implementation of
    audit non-POSIX compliant, which makes any trusted evaluation a lot more
    challenging to have any design accepted by the evaluation team.

    We are really keen to get the API changed as soon as possible so that we
    can start working on the rest of the audit code ready for phase 2.

    What does the rest of the list feel we need to do to have the patch
    accepted ?

    richard.