Patch Acceptance Procedure

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 12:21:11 PDT

    richard offer wrote:

    > Can someone please help me understand what the policies and procedures for
    > accepting patches into the tree are ?

    Currently, only Chris (who works the LSM project for WireX) and Greg (who
    used to work for WireX, but is now on his own dime) have write access to the
    BK tree.  The current ad hoc procedure is to convince one of  them that a
    patch is appropriate.  This is rather more informal than I would like :-)

    I'd like to see something just a bit more inclusive.  Perhaps some kind of 2
    phase commit, where Greg/Chris announce intent to apply a patch, and then
    wait for ACK/NACK/Discuss responses? Critical question:  who is critical to
    get a response from.  With over 400 people on the list, unanamous consent is
    clearly out of the question :-)

    Linux manages this by giving Linus sole authority, but he listens to a lot of
    people.  I'm happy with Chris and Greg having the commit authority, but would
    like to see a bit more opportunity for discussion before commit happens.

    So how about a 24-hour window between an announcement of "I'm going to commit
    this" and actual commit?  We are using a revision control system, so we can
    back stuff out if necessary. And we can try it out with a meta experiment
    applying the protocol to this proposal of mine.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.