Re: Patch Acceptance Procedure

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 16:29:04 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 12:21:11PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > So how about a 24-hour window between an announcement of "I'm going to commit
    > this" and actual commit?  We are using a revision control system, so we can
    > back stuff out if necessary. And we can try it out with a meta experiment
    > applying the protocol to this proposal of mine.

    Call me Pollyanna (sp?) if you will, but I tend to like the general
    consensus method we have used thus far. To get the patches included at
    the moment requires passing muster with at least two people, the author
    and one of {greg, chris}. Getting stuff changed or pulled back out isn't
    much more work, so it isn't the end of the world if a patch sneaks in
    too quickly.

    Although, a certain amount of time for everyone to look over proposed
    patches for criticism would be sort of nice before applying the patches.
    I suppose Greg will just have to find yet another news source to read to
    keep himself busy in the morning to put off applying the patches for a
    little while. :)

    I don't think we need to go all the way to a voting scheme: first, I
    know I don't want to spend my time running votes and tallying ballots
    and I doubt anyone else here has that sort of time. Second, the ratio of
    votes for major contributors versus minor contributors or lurkers is a
    touchy issue, and one I would rather leave alone entirely. If someone
    sees a major problem with a proposed patch, I want that person to speak
    up with their full voice -- not just .2 voices. Third, once a consensus
    of some sort has been reached, I don't want people's positions to come
    back to haunt them later, in the variety, "on date xyz person foo voted
    bar so going back on it is Evil[tm]". (I've seen nice mail lists
    degenerate down this path..)

    Honestly, one business day's worth of time before applying a patch ought
    to be enough to see if anyone has any qualms with the patch right off
    the bat, or if more detailed analysis will be required.

    (hmm, that seems awful long winded for what was supposed to be short and
    quick. Apologies.)