Re: Patch Acceptance Procedure

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 17:21:44 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 08:02:53PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    > Okay, "hi Pollyanna"... *g* not sure what this means, but I like to
    > accomodate.

    I think it means "optimistic enough for several people". :)

    > It shifts the burden of "proof of necessity", which I *thought* was
    > "necessary in" instead of "in until necessary out".

    Aye; but further changes may render pieces unnecessary, redundant, etc.
    Or someone may propose a different method that is faster/smaller/more
    elegant. The end result still needs to be "necessary in" for the kernel
    guys to appreciate what we have done, and using it as a general
    guideline throughout will help meet that goal.

    > Also, there are numerous different weights to voices... there must be.

    Absolutely. But placing a weight on voices a priori isn't going to win
    friends. :) If any interested reader can spot a problem, great. No
    voting system will help in finding the problem, or solve the problem.

    > Probably, but, suppose I'm the sort of guy who claims a problem with
    > EVERYTHING ;-)  what problems are significant, what are not?

    It depends upon the problem. :) Find one, guess at the level of damage
    it may mean, and bring it up. Folks will either say "nope, not a
    problem, the same <information, result, error> can be handled through a
    <faster, smaller, more elegent> mechanism". Or folks will say, "ouch,
    thanks for pointing this out", perhaps after some initial resistence. :)

    The comment may or may not matter on its own merits, no matter who says
    it, voting system or not to keep patches in or out, etc. I just don't
    think it is worth the hassle to set up a voting scheme. :)