Re: Patch Acceptance Procedure

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 17:19:15 PDT

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Seth Arnold wrote:
    > I *think* we have reached the consensus on the file descriptor issue
    > that though many of us don't see the inherent value, it doesn't cost too
    > much more to pass it along as information where it is available. (Though
    > the NOFD_AVAILABLE #define doesn't seem real friendly to me...) If I am
    > wrong, and this issue is unresolved in someone's mind, I trust the list
    > will know in short order.

    Proposed: passing fd's should be supported wherever possible in the
    interface and will not constitute the sole reason for a rejection of a
    patch.  Seconded?

    > For the MAC/DAC issue, I think we are still in the discussion stage; at
    > least, I haven't seen a real convincing argument for the movement, and
    > I'm sure the proponents of the change would say about the same for my
    > arguments of putting DAC first.

    I have no opinion here, but I think it's boiled down to "why?"  DAC first
    seems useful to some, MAC first seems more fitting with a semi-standard.
    Requesting proposal on way or another for 1 business day review.

    > And, for putting the error code into the post hooks, I don't think there
    > has been any discussion yet. I would like to know if there is any
    > performance penalty paid (or saved!) by including the error code in the
    > post hooks, though I think in the end it will all about even out. (I
    > wonder about performance changes because the calls were moved to
    > unconditional versus conditional calls. I could see how performance
    > could go either way with these changes.) Perhaps other people have other
    > concerns?

    Sheesh, I have a sort of a life! :)  No Opinion.   But let's move on it if
    somebody has a strong pro or con opinion.  We can discuss ourselves blue
    in the face, but a technique for ending the discussion with a decision is
    valuable.

    > By breaking the pieces into three patches, each issue can be debated
    > individually and possibly accepted individually. By taking all three as
    > a whole, all three need to have a consensus of some sort before the
    > omnibus patch would be added to the current tree.

    I agree.  I just want to see the consensus DEFINED and added to policy.
    To date, it's been discussed, but every reader of this list COULD have a
    different idea what the consensus is/was.

    > Cheers! :)

    Salut!
    J. Melvin Jones