Re: Patch Acceptance Procedure

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 18:20:39 PDT

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Seth Arnold wrote:

    > True enough; other open source projects don't usually have too much
    > trouble with the particulars though. Like you said, the sort-of lives we
    > may or may not have tend to interfere.

    I have, on reliable authority, that this project is somewhat unique in its
    approach.  I applaud this, and see that a unique problem like we're
    attempting to address requires unique solutions, as well as unique
    methods.  A venture into "social engineering" like this one deserves some
    consideration of the how to to get to conclusion, how to define what a
    "consensus" really is, and how to provide a basis for discussions in the
    light of the project goals.  Many open source projects just "eject"
    people who don't agree with the views of a few central individuals. I'm
    not sure how to get there, but Crispin's comments at the top of this
    thread suggest there may be room for definition, at this point.

    HE suggested a one-day review period.  You seem to agree with me that it
    may be inadequate in some circumstances.  What circumstances?  This is a
    truely cosmic conundrum, but a first-order answer is probably better than
    none.

    > Cheers :)

    Salut!
    J. Melvin Jones