Re: Changes to LSM phase 1 for audit.

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 16:15:50 PDT

    Casey Schaufler wrote:

    > Ah. On a system which has been running for a year, the
    > audit record which contains that information may be
    > contained only on a tape in a salt mine a thousand miles
    > away. A good audit record needs to contain enough information
    > to be useful without resorting to backtracking through
    > terabytes of history information. It is also true that
    > while stdin, stdout, and stderr are often the most
    > interesting and abusable fds, they are not the only ones.

    Ok.  I'm convinced of the validity of fd's for audit purposes.  I'm further
    convinced that it would be hard to reconstruct the fd's from other provided
    information.

    What I'm not convinced of is that this needs to go into phase 1.  Our basic
    political strategy is to pitch something lean & mean to the kernel group.
    That means that there's nothing in it except what is needed to support
    access control modules.  This Phase 1 interface is necessarily inadequate
    for full audit, so SGI (and others?) get to code audit-lite for this
    interface, and we use the griping from that implementation to drive the
    design needs for Phase 2.

    To get fd into phase 1, we need to contrive an access control reason to need
    the fd.  "Go on, make something up." -- Monty Python, the Oscar Wild sketch
    that brought us precious jems like "His Majesty is like a stream of bat's
    piss." :-)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.