Re: Changes to LSM phase 1 for audit.

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 09:14:34 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 04:15:50PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > To get fd into phase 1, we need to contrive an access control reason to need
    > the fd.  "Go on, make something up." -- Monty Python, the Oscar Wild sketch
    > that brought us precious jems like "His Majesty is like a stream of bat's
    > piss." :-)

    Ah, I love Monty Python. :)

    If David Wheeler's suggestion doesn't satisfy everyone, here is my
    attempt at making fds useful for an access control reason: solar
    designer will probably want the functionality when he ports Openwall to
    newer kernels. Recall how his Openwall patch has special handling for
    the first three file descriptors?

    I don't know if he would really need the hooks everywhere SGI wants the
    hooks, but hey, consistency, you know?

    How did I do? Contrived enough? :)

    (Oh yeah, if the SGI folks want to take a gander at their proposed fd
    patch to see if it could possibly be used for solar designer's Openwall
    patch, then we could feel warm and fuzzy about it. :)

    ["Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore, dum dum dum, dum dai..."]