Re: Patch Acceptance Procedure

From: richard offer (offerat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 09:25:21 PDT

    * frm Valdis.Kletnieksat_private "07/24/01 11:08:07 -0400" | sed '1,$s/^/* /'
    *
    * On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:19:15 EDT, jmjonesat_private said:
    *> Proposed: passing fd's should be supported wherever possible in the
    *> interface and will not constitute the sole reason for a rejection of a
    *> patch.  Seconded?
    *
    * I'll conditionally second it.  However, could one of the audit people
    * verify that fd's are actually available at most/all of the points they
    * are concerned about, or are there some show-stoppers in there where they
    * need the fd but it isn't actually handy at the moment?

    All the hook locations have ready access to fds with the exception of the
    permission() hook in fs/readdir.c and the mmap() hook in mm/mmap.c. The fd
    isn't available to the calling function at that time (it was never passed
    down from higher up---which we can't change and still maintain kernel ABI
    compatability).

    The problem is that these hooks are used elsewhere (permission() all over
    the place, mmap() in arch/i368/sys_i386.c) so we can't simply hack the
    prototype. An alternative to the LSM_NOFD_AVAILABLE hack^Wflag would be to
    have additional hooks (readdir_permission() and mmap_mmap() ?) that don't
    have the extra fd parameter. I don't like that as it loses generality and
    adding a hook for one location just seems plain wrong to me.

    Passing a known value of the fd (LSM_NOFD_AVAILABLE) at least gives a
    module a chance to do something different in those cases.

    * 				Valdis Kletnieks

    richard.