Re: Vacation Bots

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 09:41:27 PDT

    "Squire, Jonathan" wrote:

    > how about just suspending them automagiclly for 7 days? Or offering a way
    > for them to suspend themselves prior to vacation for X days?

    Nice idea, but not supported in software.  We use mailman as a list manager,
    and it has buttons for "no mail" (suspend indefinitely) and "unsubscribe".
    It's a reasonable feature request, but we just use mailman, not support it.

    However, I just went and looked, and another option would be to switch the
    offenders to "digest" mode, where they just get all the posts in one big
    batch per day.  I *think* this means that the annoying "I'm on vacation and
    you're not" messages will just go to linux-security-module-admin (i.e. me)
    but that's an improvement.

    Part of my mode of thought is that subscribing dumb vacation bots to large
    lists is rude, and so I'm disinclined to go to a lot of effort to accomodate
    the people that do it.  There's lots of things I can do that involve a lot
    of effort on my part, but that is unpopular with 9 out of 10 Crispie's :-)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.