Re: Vacation Bots

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 13:18:38 PDT

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > "Squire, Jonathan" wrote:
    >
    > > how about just suspending them automagiclly for 7 days? Or offering a way
    > > for them to suspend themselves prior to vacation for X days?
    >
    > Nice idea, but not supported in software.  We use mailman as a list manager,
    > and it has buttons for "no mail" (suspend indefinitely) and "unsubscribe".
    > It's a reasonable feature request, but we just use mailman, not support it.

    Yet Brutus has told you, [MailMan] is an honorable system... so are they
    all, all honorable systems (just kidding.)

    > Part of my mode of thought is that subscribing dumb vacation bots to large
    > lists is rude, and so I'm disinclined to go to a lot of effort to accomodate
    > the people that do it.  There's lots of things I can do that involve a lot
    > of effort on my part, but that is unpopular with 9 out of 10 Crispie's :-)

    I've battled this problem before, with scripts and code and policies...
    the only sane thing to do is let them cancel and bounce (automatically or
    manually, once) a polite note explaining the problem that got them dropped
    and how to get back on.

    It IS rude, but it's usually unintentionally rude.  Some companies even
    kick in the autoresponse automatically and the employee isn't fully aware
    what's going to happen.  The admin at the company isn't either.

    > Crispin
    >
    > --
    > Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    > Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com