Re: The Demise of Simple Assurance?

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 18:19:15 PDT

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, richard offer wrote:

    > * frm jmjonesat_private "07/31/01 20:45:51 -0400" | sed '1,$s/^/* /'
    > *
    > * On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, richard offer wrote:
    > *
    >
    > I suppose you want something more than its the right thing to do ? :-)

    GREAT question.  Insightful and to the point.

    YES.

    What I want (and I think many want) is SOME *convincing* argument for
    why the current paradigm is the WRONG thing to do.

    I presented an argument that thwarts the "simple assurance" argument for
    the current paradigm... I also presented a possibility that might (MIGHT)
    allow modules that so need to recapture that.

    Gimmee a convincing reason for authoritative hooks, and a specific
    definition of how they would be applied... at this point, that has value,
    again.

    Proof not necessary (for me), just convincing argument (again, for me)
    because proving a negative is impossible. Just an "obvious" (goddess, I
    hate that word) reason why the current paradigm is wrong and a new one
    might be better. :)

    If no such argument can be presented, I am in doubt that changing the
    current hook placement / model is necessary.  Additionally, I think the
    "simple assurance" argument is bogus... but not the OTHER reasons for
    doing things the way we currently are.

    I reduced the arguments FOR by one factor, but I'm not sure that the
    reduction tips the scales.

    > richard.

    > Richard Offer                     Technical Lead, Trust Technology, SGI
    > "Specialization is for insects"

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones