Re: The Demise of Simple Assurance?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 19:12:20 PDT

    richard offer wrote:

    > * Not that I think this is a bad idea, largely, but I think it has been
    > * "argued down" for many reasons.  Even eliminating the "simple-assurance"
    > * argument, there is the issue of "kernel invasion".  Do you have a response
    > * to that argument?
    >
    > I suppose you want something more than its the right thing to do ? :-)

    I believe it to be completely infeasible to ever consider moving the kernel
    security logic into a module.  In-kernel security logic ("DAC" for short :-) is
    deeply intertwined with lots of other non-security code.  Teasing it apart
    would be a Herculean task (complete with shoveling loads of crap :-) and is
    fraught with error.  As a result, the kernel group is highly likely to reject
    such a proposal.

    So no, moving the in-kernel/DAC logic to a module was not what I was proposing,
    and it is unlikely to ever be considered.  That's not a dictatorial rule, but
    IMHO, it is practical advice.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.