Re: Making forward progress

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 10:47:09 PDT

    jmjonesat_private wrote:

    > Very reasonable.  Although I can not envision a means of moving in-kernel
    > checks OUT without pre-requiring authoritative hooks.

    Neither can I, but since DAC-out is not likely to happen, I don't care very much.

    > I suggest this:
    >
    > 1) make hooks authoritative,

    Not yet.  I'm still waiting to hear whether the promised advantages are real or
    not.  In particular, I want to know whether Smalley's style of authoritative hooks
    (DAC-in, DAC-first, send DAC result to module as a parameter, and let the module
    make the final decision) actually improves SGI's situation.  Richard?

    > 2) DON'T buy-in the DAC-OUT yet, but keep an open mind,

    Sorry, my mind is close on this issue :-)

    > 3) CREATE, approve, review, whatever, a stackable module that enforces
    >    hooks as restrictive_only, to address the obvious need.  It's really
    >    not even minimally difficult.

    Sure, if #1 actually goes through.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.