Re: Port of secure fd handling to LSM

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 00:25:10 PDT

    Matt Block wrote:
    >The idea seems to be:
    >  (1) Acceptance now is more important than full-featuredness
    >  (2) Smaller is _much_ better than larger (enough so that without a
    >compelling reason to grow the LSM hooks, it is enough to say, "but that
    >would make them larger" to quash a development)

    Seems like a nice summary.

    >  (3) The kernel developers for any number of reasons will prefer by
    >overwhelming majority performance to security

    While others may or may not share this philosophy, I don't think
    we've "had it out" on this question.  The question just hasn't come
    up: as far as I recall, we haven't run into any hard tradeoffs between
    performance and security yet.  (Remind me if I've forgotten something.)

    Anyway, the rest of your email seems to come down to a single question.
    You seemed to expect that the goal of LSM is to support all possible
    security policies.  In contrast, my understanding is that the charter
    of LSM is much more limited: It is to support a set of existing access
    control policies (and possibly some new ones, too, if it seems appropriate),
    and things that aren't access control seem to be out of scope.

    Furthermore, I would take issue with your characterization of LSM as
    not completely meeting _anyone's_ needs; on the contrary, there are a
    number of projects (e.g., SubDomain, SELinux) whose needs seem to be
    nicely met by LSM.

    I don't know whether this answers your question, or whether this reflects
    the views of others on this list.