Re: Making forward progress

From: Theodore Tso (tytsoat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 04:22:16 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 10:43:46AM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > IMHO, the "DAC-out" plan doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
    > I put the question to Ted just to get a definitive opinion.  Even if
    > Ted does come back with "we don't care" (improbable) I still beleive
    > that a solid majority of the LSM implementers are opposed to
    > DAC-out.

    Sorry for the delay in responding, I was at the IETF meeting last
    week, and was distracted by a number of other issues (beware having
    reporters on mailing lists, because they will badly misinterpret
    e-mail messages and spawn headlines in Network World of the form "IETF
    abandons critical VPN technology", when nothing could be further from
    the truth.  I heard that misinformation reached as far as the news
    summary sheet for the FBI.  :-/ )

    This week I'm on vacation, but I'm staying at Stephen Tweedie's house
    to attend the Edinburgh Festival (and to get some ext3 hacking done),
    which means that I have network connectivity...

    So I just took a look at the flame ware on this thread so I could get
    a sense of the arguments, and here's my "authoratative ruling" (gee, I
    feel like I'm being asked to play the role of King Solomon --- but
    please remember, I'm NOT the King Penguin :-)

    I would suggest that what's most likely to get into the kernel is
    something where the Linux Security Module can be made *optional*.
    What I mean by that is that there's a CONFIG_LSM which if turned off,
    changes all of the callouts to be no-ops, via the magic of some C
    preprocessor functions which either call out to the structure
    pointers, or become a no-op.  If capabilities are moved out so that
    they require LSM support, that's probably OK, since they are rarely
    used, and it means that people can get a slightly smaller kernel if
    they don't even want to use capabilities.  (However, that does mean
    putting back a simple/limited superuser concept back into the kernel.)

    On the other hand, if you want to require LSM, that's might be OK, but
    it had better be lightwieght, and you should have benchmarks to prove
    it.

    The other, orthogonal issue is one of minimizing actual changes to the
    codepaths.  That's probably the reason why I would avoid DAC-out in
    the initial patch which you send to Linus.  If you simply are adding
    callouts in a few locations, it will be a lot easier for the patch to
    get swallowed as an experimental config option.  Then assuming that
    people are willing to live with LSM, you can propose sending in a
    patch which moves the traditional Unix DAC handling to a LSM, under
    the guise of code simplification.  But do that as a separate patch,
    after LSM is accepted into the kernel....

    							- Ted