Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 00:14:42 PDT

    richard offer wrote:

    > Forking linux is nothing compared to nightmare that you get with forking all
    > the applications.

    I agree with Seth:  hacking an application to use the module(s) system call(s)
    is forking the application, so you've already swallowed that issue.

    > Lets summarize.

    Good idea.

    >     In the blue corner we have people that seem to want a system call means
    > to determine confirm an application is talking to the right policy
    >         Stephen, David, Richard, Casey

    I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.  I believe Stephen is on the fence, but
    we'll see on Wednesday.

    >     In the red corner we have people who think it should be done via /proc
    >         Greg, Jesse,

    As already commented, Greg's view is actually "not syscalls", and he suggests
    /proc and list_modules as alternatives.  Add me to this column.

    >     In the green corner we have those that think its un-needed
    >         J. Melvin

    I'd be surprised if JMJ doesn't think an identification method is needed.

    > The semi-interesting point is that Stephen and myself are both working on
    > projects that involve a complete linux distribution.

    Immunix is also working on such a system.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.