Re: USENIX Security LSM BOF topics

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 07:59:07 PDT

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Chris Wright wrote:

    > * name vs. inode (as Serge pointed out, we may have a solution in 2.5,
    >   see http://acl.bestbits.at/pipermail/acl-devel/2001-August/000734.html)

    I thought that this was resolved, pending submission of a
    specific proposal from WireX for new hooks that would meet
    their needs.  If 2.5 is going to solve your problem anyway,
    then so much the better.

    > * in-kernel check vs. lsm-check ordering

    I thought that this was resolved, with the decision being
    that we place the LSM hooks after the DAC logic whenever
    feasible.  This was already the case for many of the hooks,
    and I think I moved the remaining ones when feasible.

    > * all in-kernel checks to module

    This seems to have been resolved by the recent posting by Ted Ts'o.

    > anything else?

    Yes, I would suggest that we also discuss the following:

    * status and plans for the capabilities module
    * controlling Unix domain sockets that use the abstract namespace
    * Ted's comments about making LSM a configuration option, using
      macros, etc.
    * plans for submitting a patch to the kernel developers

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private