Re: quotactl hook

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 13:41:38 PDT

    On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:37:42PM -0700, Chris Wright wrote:
    > * Greg KH (gregat_private) wrote:
    > > On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:07:45AM -0700, Chris Wright wrote:
    > > >
    > > > p.s. in fact i see no good reason not to move the lsm umount hook to
    > > > sys_umount.  that way it is not within the BKL.  any objections?
    > >
    > > You need it there for the change_root call.
    >
    > are you sure?  before lsm, there was no security check in the
    > change_root/do_umount code path.  isn't that just used when switching
    > from your initrd to the real root device during bootup?  this is
    > getting close to a secure boot sequence ;-)

    There didn't need to be any check, as it is an __init call, and
    /sbin/init isn't even started yet when it is called.  So any SYS_ADMIN
    check at that time would have been redundant.

    I'd leave it there, as the initrd boot sequence is going to be a big
    part of the 2.5 changes, and lots of things will be happening at that
    time.

    thanks,

    greg k-h