Re: get_write_access hook

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 09:38:07 PDT

    Casey Schaufler wrote:

    >Greg KH wrote:
    >
    >>Um, hooks that do nothing but let the module know what the kernel is
    >>doing at a point in time, don't seem to be under the lsm charter right
    >>now.  Like David Wagner said, it smells like audit.
    >>
    >There are a lot of hooks which are useful for audit. Are you
    >going to take them out because of that? I would hope that the
    >goal here is "not to do audit" as opposed to "prevent audit
    >from being done". The fact that a hook might be useful for audit
    >ought not poison it when it's good for other purposes as well.

    What Casey describes has always been my intent: that phase 1 should
    enable access control, and anything else that might happen is a bonus.

    I believe that Greg's post was a question looking for some access
    control justification for a hook that appears to supply simple
    notification of an event, which would normally be a "pure" audit
    feature.  Our access control justification in this case is that we will
    use the notification to invalidate certification of a program's right to
    run.

    >I would also hope that we, as a group, could be just a touch
    >less judgemental regarding the uses others plan to put LSM
    >to. I don't much care what policy Steven, Crispin, or Greg
    >might want, but I do want y'all to be successful with LSM.

    To reiterate the feature policy: we don't care what any module developer
    proposes to do with their module, but we won't add a feature to Phase 1
    without an access control justification.  Whether that is judgemental or
    not is a matter of perspective :-)

    With that out of the way, hopefully we can return to evaluating whether
    the community buys our AC justification for Seth's requested hook.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.