Re: Authoritative hooks updated to 2.4.13

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 08:56:41 PDT

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, richard offer wrote:

    > With no subsequent discussion following posting of the last patch (which
    > incorporated changes to meet Chris's suggestions) all the issues appear to
    > have been put to bed so there should be no reason for not moving forward
    > with this.

    And now, for a non-technical comment, when the LSM patch is submitted to
    the kernel developers for consideration into 2.5, we will need to be able
    to provide evidence that the changes made by LSM are needed by real
    security modules.  I would expect even greater need for concrete justification
    for the kinds of changes made by the authoritative hooks patch, since it
    is more invasive and increases the likelihood that a security module may
    accidentally open a vulnerability in the base logic.  For the current LSM
    patch, we have concrete open source examples such as the capabilities
    module, the SELinux module and the DTE module (and more underway by the
    IBM folks, right?).  For authoritative hooks, we currently have nothing.
    And I don't think a trivial example module would be helpful - we need
    a real security module that is open source that demonstrates the need for
    these additional changes.  I don't think that the kernel developers will
    be swayed by hand waving about unreleased or closed source security
    modules.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private