Re: Authoritative hooks updated to 2.4.13

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 11:26:35 PDT

    ********
    If you are sick of listening to my philosophizing and just want to get to
    the "meat" of this post, skip the following and read only the section
    below between the "eight-asterisk" delimiter, please.
    ********

    I've been involved in LSM since late April, and watching, working,
    advocating, and, sometimes, infuriating over the unfortunate impact of
    Political Considerations on what I feel should be the Goals and Philosophy
    of the project.  After 6 months, I've learned a lot... less technical than
    political, about the strategy and process of getting a patch "official
    inclusion" in the Kernel Community.

    Regardless of how I feel about the specifics of the solution, I still
    firmly believe LSM has provided a *huge* value to Linux Security in
    general, and may provide some significant value to the "official" kernel.

    (Yes, I know, the term "official" is rather hazy for any Open Source
    project, including Linux.)

    Documentation/SubmittingPatches, Section 2.4: Hints and Tips, from
    the kernel source says:

    "
    4) Don't over-design.

    Don't try to anticipate nebulous future cases which may or may not
    be useful:  "Make it as simple as you can, and no simpler"
    "

    Rather than guessing (and, no matter what is asserted, it IS a guess:
    however "educated") what will happen when LSM is submitted for "official"
    consideration, I'd think it would be valuable to consider this statement
    and how LSM is/will/has addressed it.  I think Mr. Smalley's non-technical
    comment goes right to the heart of that.

    IS authoritative anticipation of a "nebulous future case?"  To me, it is
    reasoned contemplation of a current need which must be addressed in the
    future, but without a concrete example of it's need in a working security
    subsystem, I don't see how the "Open Software Community" can consider it
    anything but "Nebulous"...

    IS restrictive-only significantly simpler NOW than authoritative?  I
    imagine it's simpler for the module designers, but a good 25 word
    description of just what "simple" means (other than smaller, since
    changing a variable name to fewer characters makes the patch "smaller",
    bytewise.)  It would certainly seem that, to some module designers,
    reducing the authoritativeness of the hooks would make their projects
    simpler.  To others, it certainly makes it less simple.

    My position right now is this:

    1) let LSM hard-target their goal, which is
       access restriction using a minimum number of hooks placed as
    effectively an unobtrusively as possible.

    2) remind LSM, when necessary, that this isn't the whole picture, even
       nominally, when looking at overall security concerns for Linux, but
    rather a "hard-targeted subset."  Let those who see a different picture
    cling to their "vision."

    3) consistant with (2), consider the impact of their continuing decisions
       on other strategies, and bring to their attention places where they
    might "tighten up" a little to minimize that.

    I believe that getting a tight, minimally-costly-and-obtrusive access
    restriction mechanism "Official Release" will help make Linux Systems more
    secure (or add the potential of greater security in a largish number of
    situations) and cost the kernel little.

    Adding authoritative, at this point, to this "narrow" purpose, could
    complicate the "sale" enough to tip the scale between accept and reject.
    I think it's more useful, at this point to tighten the boundaries even
    further and work on other security solutions in "patch mode".  Maybe I
    came to this realization late, but better late than never.

    ********

    I think adding authoritative hooks is unnecessary, at this time, for the
    specific purpose of access restriction.  I'd hoped that LSM would address
    a larger diversity of security needs, but I now realize this was too much
    to get "Officially Accepted".

    I think LSM needs to tighten up, right now, not expand it's possibilities.
    So, don't accept authoritativeness unless there's a demonstrable
    access-restriction need; so it doesn't unduely cost or "step-on" other
    security-realm interests that may proceed in "by-patch" methodology.

    I agree with Greg: authoritative without purpose, even at minimal cost, at
    this point, endangers the "sale" of LSM without adding anything
    "non-nebulous" to it.

    ********

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones