Re: Legitimate Question

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 13:22:03 PST

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 jmjonesat_private wrote:

    > Thanks.  This is a good answer to my concerns.  The only remaining
    > issue I have is how archeological or ported-from-other-operating systems
    > products may achieve "unmoderated" or "moderated-appropriately" status
    > under a restrictive module.
    >
    > Is there a standard way or must application designers write code to
    > multiple situations?

    This naturally depends on the security module, and there is no standard
    way defined by LSM.  However, it doesn't have to require any application
    changes.  In the "setuid root" example, you don't have to change the
    application in order to gain privileges, you just set the setuid root bit
    on the program.  Likewise, type enforcing systems will typically let you
    set the type on the program (or otherwise mark it as an entrypoint) to
    indicate that it should be run in a given domain, and the policy can
    assign the necessary permissions to that domain.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private