Re: Legitimate Question

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 07:59:51 PST

    I don't know how helpful this is for your problem, but:

    1) A number of access control systems (definitely SELinux, and I think
    SubDomain and RSBAC as well) provide an optional permissive / soft /
    learning mode of operation where the system merely logs access denials
    but does not enforce them.  So you can do some minimal setup of a
    new security domain for an application, run the application in this domain
    on a kernel with this mode enabled, and then use the resulting log
    messages as input into constructing a policy for the application.

    2) Some access control systems (definitely SELinux, don't know about
    others) provide an enhanced API for security-aware applications that
    permits them to query the policy (if authorized by the policy to perform
    such queries).  The SELinux API is discussed in the Freenix paper, and at
    greater length in the technical report.

    Of course, these facilities aren't standardized in any way across
    different security modules.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private