Re: Legitimate Question

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 08:31:37 PST

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > 2) Some access control systems (definitely SELinux, don't know about
    > others) provide an enhanced API for security-aware applications that
    > permits them to query the policy (if authorized by the policy to perform
    > such queries).  The SELinux API is discussed in the Freenix paper, and at
    > greater length in the technical report.
    >
    > Of course, these facilities aren't standardized in any way across
    > different security modules.

    Yes, this is the function that I envision needing, and had hoped there
    might be some possibility of providing some minimally common interface
    to query the policy (or more specifically, test an access against a
    specified policy other than their own) by applications with permission
    to do so.

    The stalwart rejection of such commonality is probably good
    design/security thinking, but not having a common means to do
    this thing which I think may prove a common need is an
    inconvenience, IMHO.  *SHRUG* :)  It would probably be impossible
    to design a flexible enough call, anyway, to address the supported
    diversity of modules.

    > --
    > Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    > ssmalleyat_private