Re: Legitimate Question

From: Casey Schaufler (caseyat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 10:16:58 PST

    Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:

    > I originally thought that our esteemed colleage Mr Jones was good and
    > thoroughly high on crack when he started this thread, but now I see
    > the issue in question.  autoconf/configure type programs often run tests
    > to see if Feature X is available on the system - and good security practice
    > says that you do your configure/make work as non-root, and only use root
    > for the final install.

    A common application practice is to check if it ought to be
    able to complete a complex, multistep operation prior to
    starting. Since modern computer systems do not provide a
    handy interface for doing this the application will use
    stat(), access(), fsstat(), and anything else the developer
    can think of to check the state of resources. When the
    developer does everything she can to determine accessability,
    all the answers say yes, and access is denied, she is
    understandably unhappy.

    This has been a longstanding issue in the trusted systems world.
    Any change to the policy makes 3rd party installation scripts
    fail, especially those which check for access and proceed
    based on the information returned. Yes, I know, all applications
    should be written to deal with failures. To do so, they
    need to know the policies being enforced. They need a way
    to find this out.

    --

    Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
    caseyat_private				voice: 650.933.1634