Re: LSM Summer BOF's

From: Russell Coker (bofhat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 11:37:33 PST

    On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:10, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > >>   * Ottawa Linux Symposium: June 26-29, Ottawa, Canada
    > >>     http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2002/
    > >>         * OLS has accepted Chris Wright's proposal for an LSM session.
    > >>         * Russel Coker has a talk on packaging SELinux for Debian
    > >>         * Greg KH has a speaking slot, but not on LSM
    > >
    > >A BOF here might be overkill as there is already a LSM talk scheduled.
    > >But as I stated before, a BOF in the hallway (like last year) would be
    > >fine with me.
    >
    > It seems to me that the scheduled LSM sessions are about LSM people
    > explaining it to the uninitiated, where as an LSM BOF is a meeting of
    > LSM developers trying to make decisions. The kind of hard-core debate I
    > expect at a BOF would lose most of the audience at Chris and Russel's
    > talks.

    One factor is that they are creating mp3's of the talks.  I'm not inclined to
    speak about anything that may change in the near future when the mp3s will be
    played over the next year!

    > However, I've never been to OLS (odd in itself, since I'm actually from
    > Toronto) so I may not get the way interactions happen.

    OLS is a very technical conference.  But it's still a conference of users and
    administrators not primarily programmers.

    Also anything related to security is something that most people don't seem to
    know much about.

    > The way OLS
    > reviews papers is certainly "divergent" :-)  Feel free to correct me.

    How is it divergent?