Re: LSM Summer BOF's

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 12:31:08 PST

    On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 12:01:15PM -0800, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    >    * the OLS way:
    >          * Authors submit 1 or 2 paragraph proposals.
    >          * No such thing as multiple authors.

    Untrue.  There have been papers in the past that were done by multiple
    people, and there were papers accepted this year that are being done by
    multiple people.  There have also been multiple people giving a single
    presentation in past years.

    >          * The OLS committee (or person?) decides which proposals to
    >            accept.

    It's a committee.

    >          * I presume that proposals are valued at least as much on the
    >            basis of the proposer as on the proposed content.

    Which can be argued might be a benefit.  I've found that the author's
    open source work is a very good indication of past performance, hence
    they are someone who knows what they are talking about, and would be a
    good person to contribute a interesting talk.

    > The OLS way closely approximates the way that other conferences select
    > Keynote or Invited Speaker talks: pick out some folks that you can trust
    > to give good talk, and give them a podium and some latitude. It's not
    > bad, but it is different, and has different effects, especially in the
    > long term. If OLS continues on in this way, then 20 years from now only
    > the well-established olde boys of the Linux Oligarchy will be able to
    > speak at OLS, and newbies will get to shut up and listen to their elders :-)

    Remember this is not a "academic" conference.  One could argue that your
    expectations of a conference are tainted by your USENIX experience. :)

    (way off-topic here, sorry)

    greg k-h