Re: LSM Summer BOF's

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 13:30:47 PST

    Greg KH wrote:

    >On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 12:01:15PM -0800, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    >
    >>   * the OLS way:
    >>         * Authors submit 1 or 2 paragraph proposals.
    >>         * No such thing as multiple authors.
    >>
    >Untrue.  There have been papers in the past that were done by multiple
    >people, and there were papers accepted this year that are being done by
    >multiple people.  There have also been multiple people giving a single
    >presentation in past years.

    Ok. I got that from an off-hand comment from Chris. I'll forget it now.

    >>* I presume that proposals are valued at least as much on the
    >>           basis of the proposer as on the proposed content.
    >>
    >Which can be argued might be a benefit.

    Of course. I agree that it is a benefit. At most conferences, you can
    optimize your experience by favoring presentations based on the
    presenter instead of the content.

    The catch is that it has a down-side in the long term, because it tends
    to disadvantage newbies. Perhaps OLS will get away with it because of
    Linux's fairly newbie-friendly environment, which allows someone to
    become "known" outside of OLS, and thus gain entry.

    >>The OLS way closely approximates the way that other conferences select
    >>Keynote or Invited Speaker talks: pick out some folks that you can trust
    >>to give good talk, and give them a podium and some latitude. It's not
    >>bad, but it is different, and has different effects, especially in the
    >>long term. If OLS continues on in this way, then 20 years from now only
    >>the well-established olde boys of the Linux Oligarchy will be able to
    >>speak at OLS, and newbies will get to shut up and listen to their elders :-)
    >>
    >Remember this is not a "academic" conference.  One could argue that your
    >expectations of a conference are tainted by your USENIX experience. :)

    Sure. That's why I called it "not bad, just different."  And for that
    matter, many hard core academics don't think that USENIX is an academic
    conference, either. As I said, it's all relative.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.