Re: Reasons for Inclusion

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 13:50:11 PST

    jmjonesat_private wrote:

    >1) you've met every condition in Linus' original requirement (included the
    >imbedded systems comment), 100% and without question.

    Linus made a back-of-the-napkin scale proposal, and now we are (roughly)
    5000 man-hours into development. We know a lot more now than we did last
    march, and so assuredly have done some things differntly than Linus
    imagined we would. Whether these deviations are acceptable to him is
    something we will learn when we present the work.

    >2) you're not willing to actually sell the patch on it's merits, beyond
    >the assertion that it "meets a (differingly interprettable) statement by
    >Linus"?

    Hardly. We're just not willing to have that debate *again* here in this
    forum. It is redundant. The next interesting form of this debate will be
    when LSM meets the non-LSM people who need to accept it. But discussing
    again here is just incestuous intellectual wanking :-)

    >Is Linux really that "ingrown", that two people make all the decisions?  I
    >don't know Alan, but I would never believe that of Linus.

    Linux's development process is hierarchical. Linus gets the final say of
    what goes into Linus' source tree, but he is influenced by the opinions
    of trusted associates, e.g. Alan Cox. This is not "ingrown."

    >Or, can nobody write a paper that proves the merit?

    A paper is the wrong format to make this case. We have written a paper
    to document the LSM design, but it is likely to be peripheral to the
    upcoming debate.

    >Gonna be a tough fight,
    >If that's the case,

    We know, but this discussion is not helping, just distracting.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.