Re: Reasons for Inclusion

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 14:55:48 PST

    On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:
    > I suspect that JMJones is raising this debate as a back door to re-argue
    > for features we have excluded. I'm not interested, as all of those
    > design decisions were thoroughly discussed before they were committed.
    > "That was fun. Lets do it again." Not.

    No.  I'm trying to bring this discussion through the front door.  I don't
    intend to argue any features not included.  I believe that LSM has a
    coherent, tight, well thought out solution, for what it does.  I can't, at
    this time, conceive of any other hook that might be added, and I've been
    surprised by the last few, but seen the light AFTER they have been
    presented.

    In the abstract, I'm trying (personally) to figure out what makes this
    patch worthy of inclusion while other patches may not be.  Perhaps Greg's
    first response was the most accurate, paraphrased: "because linus said he
    might want something like this."

    I didn't expect such *forceful* rejection... but, on reflection, I know
    that security is largely religion (deeply felt philosophy) and,
    apparently, I've touched a soft spot here.  I was just asking a question
    that *I* think will be asked the second LSM is presented, and by many, and
    was hoping you'd think-through an answer.

    If anybody else can actually SEE what I'm trying to do, please help!

    > Crispin
    >
    > --
    > Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    > Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com
    > Security Hardened Linux Distribution:       http://immunix.org
    > Available for purchase: http://wirex.com/Products/Immunix/purchase.html

    Sorry, I didn't mean to "shake" anybody's faith,
    J. Melvin Jones