Re: Reasons for Inclusion

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 15:03:41 PST

    On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Kurt Seifried wrote:

    > jmjones: what part of:
    >
    > NSA SELinux prototype based on LSM
    > LIDS based on LSM
    > vendors like Immunix basing there stuff on LSM
    >
    > do you not understand? Obviously people see value in it. I've gotten a
    > number of queries on LSM (as I'm sure other list members have) from various
    > people including vendors.
    >
    > As far as your "whaaa people are being mean and telling me to go away, but
    > I'm really smart and have something to prove so you should all listen" I
    > think the point is that you appear to bring little value to the list (i.e.
    > you're producing a lot of noise but not much signal).

    I just acknowledge that I state contrary opinions more often than not.  I
    don't cry about it.  I think there's ALWAYS value to being able to support
    an idea rather than just ridicule the question.

    > Assuming worst case scenario: the LSM patch makes it into the kernel, screws
    > everything up, eats your cat and steals all your beer. It is possible for
    > Linux to back out of it.

    Worst case, IMHO, is that LSM does NOT make it into the kernel.  I'm
    trying to focus people on why it should, for legitimate reasons, rather
    than "sneaking in."  It won't eat my cat: it can't, it doesn't impose
    overhead that I can't tolerate and nobody HAS to load a module to it.
    But, simply not imposing cost is NOT the same as providing benefit.  Heck,
    I could patch it out, at this point... maybe not if it gets "mixed in too
    deeply", but it's not gonna eat my Cat (btw, my cat died in a vehicular
    felinocide during my participation in this list, so substitue "eat my
    Dogs")

    > As for Linus and a small group making decision here's a little hint: it's
    > called Linux for a reason.
    >
    > Anyways everyone but you appears to think your arguments (complaints?) are
    > stale, perhaps there is something to be observed in this.

    Um, how many people are on this list?  Could I ask for a vote?
    "Everybody" is a small group, here.  Although, I do know I'm voicing
    unpopular views.

    > Being cruel to be kind.

    Shakespeare, I appreciate it... it really means "being cruel to be the
    same sort of person I am (of the same Kind.)  Very well said. :)

    > Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    > A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    > AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    > http://seifried.org/security/