RE: TE/DTE Patent issues?

From: Clint Byrum (cbyrumat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 15:34:57 PDT

    On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 13:26, Westerman, Mark wrote:
    > I am going with the NSA web pages about the patent
    > issue. They released all the code for SELinux
    > under the GPL some of the modified maybe release
    > under different license.

    GPL or no, the patent will, unfortunately, overrule anything the GPL
    says.. at least that has been what has happened to this point.

    > How ever Type Enforcement is a Trademark. I would not
    > use the phrase "Type Enforcement" with out a TM
    > reference

    A small mark against using the system.

    I think I have decided that, while SELinux and Type Enforcement(tm...
    hehe) are the right way to do this, I'd rather not deal with the
    licensing issues. What is the best alternative? My inclination is to use
    GRSecurity to accomplish some of the fine grained access control
    necessary for a highly secure system, but I'm guessing you folks have
    other suggestions.