Re: Stacking - anyone care how to report module id's?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 20:44:55 PDT

    David Wheeler wrote:

    > Greg KH wrote:
    >
    >> Either way, you don't need to know the ids of the modules.
    >>
    >> Does that help out?
    >
    > Well, if all the other modules CHECKED the id before
    > doing anything else, and returned -ENOSYS if it wasn't theirs,
    > I guess that's okay.

    Forcing the stacker to poll all of the modules with a syscall saying "is
    this yours?" instead of indexing the modules and calling the right one
    seems like a bad idea.

    Why is it difficult to change the module registration interface so that
    a module can specify an ID number if it wants to? Let it specify 0 if it
    doesn't want to play with the stacker.

    I'm not married to any of this, but I don't see huge cost to David's
    request, and I do see some cost (and uglies) to the kludges he will have
    to employ to work around it.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/