Re: Willing to change LSM so secondary defaults correct

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 15:51:19 PST

    Greg KH wrote:

    >A better benchmark is lmbench for micro results

    Agreed: lmbench is a terrific piece of science & engineering, meticulous
    microbenchmarking.

    > and the contest test for
    >macro ones:
    >	http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/contest/
    >which a lot of people are using these days to test out mm changes to the
    >kernel.

    That's interesting. There is a need for a good, standard, open source
    system macrobenchmark. Lots of people (WireX included) use various forms
    of "build the kernel from source" as a benchmark, but because the kernel
    changes, the benchmark is only useful for relative comparisons, i.e. I
    can use it to show that the Foo feature imposes 4% overhead, but you
    can't go off and run another benchmark to compare your results to mine.
    So it is a very good thing that someone is working to standardize it.

    On the other hand, reading the Contest web site, they are a bit vague on
    some standards. The primary glaring example is that they are
    non-specific about kernel versions, just suggesting that you get one, or
    default to 2.4.19. To be a useful standard benchmark, they would need to
    freeze on a particular kernel version (it is just a workload for the
    benchmark).

    Still, it's good to see work going into standardizing macro benchmarks.

    Caveat: there is a standard system throughput macrobenchark from SPEC,
    but it is not open source, and is in fact quite expensive.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/
    			    Just say ".Nyet"