Re: [MailServer Notification]To Recipient virus found and action taken.

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 17:10:40 PDT

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:54:10 +1000, Russell Coker <russellat_private>  said:
    > Guys, what's going on here?
    >
    > Are these messages really originating with you as they claim or are they
    > getting @wirex.com tacked on the end of the address?

    > > The attachment your_details.zip contains WORM_SOBIG.E virus. ScanMail has
    > > Deleted it.

    Other than banning Outlook Internet-wide, there really isn;t anything we can
    do.  Some poor person got infected wiht SOBIG, and it's randomly picking email
    addresses to send itself to, and to forge as the source.

    About the only thing that would help here is if the virus scanner people got a
    collective clue and DIDNT sent a "detected a virus" for those viruses known to
    forge From: fields.  I'm getting really fed up with being told I sent an
    Outlook virus  from this laptop:

    Linux turing-police.cc.vt.edu 2.5.73-mm2 #7 Sun Jun 29 19:25:53 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    Nope.  Not likely it's me. ;)